Tuesday 19 January 2016

7 tips for a healthy day and 2016

By Laura Shelly
Happy New Year, everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season with loved ones. I know the holidays can be a challenging time for sticking with a healthy nutrition and workout routine, so I hope you enjoyed the extra indulgences without any guilt. I know I did!

To me, living a healthy lifestyle means balance and moderation. Enjoy those Christmas meals without a second thought, and do your best to get back on track once the season is over. Below I’ve included 7 daily tips to follow to get you back on track for 2016. If living a healthy lifestyle is new to you, make small changes as you’re ready, and I know you’ll feel improvements both physically and mentally with consistency. Healthy eatingHealthy eating Stock image
Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit and other tips for a healthy day and a healthy 2016.

• Sleep! I can’t express this enough. I try to be consistent with my sleeping habits by going to bed and waking up at the same time everyday, and being sure to get seven to nine hours per night. Sleep is the time for your body to regenerate, and is also responsible for balancing your hormones. Adequate sleep will allow your muscles to recover from a workout, will stabilize your appetite and will give you energy to function optimally throughout the day.

• Start your day with lemon water. Lemon water reduces inflammation by helping to alkalize your body, aids in digestion, clears skin and prevents the afternoon crash. I could go on and on about the benefits of lemon water. I personally add half a squeezed lemon to a cup of warm water every morning before breakfast.

• Plan ahead! By planning your day, you can be sure to incorporate healthy meals you can prepare the day before. When I’m in a good routine, I’ll cook enough food to last for a few days, and package each meal in a glass container. When you’re prepared, you can only succeed.

• Eat all food groups. Healthy nutrition is key, and I don’t believe in drastic diets. Actually, I don’t like the word diet at all. Eating a balance of protein, healthy fats, complex carbs and plenty of veggies and fruits is key to a healthy body. It’s better to establish healthy nutrition habits on the long term, rather than follow a shirt term diet that isn’t realistic for everyday life.

• Exercise! Set aside time to exercise, and treat this time like an appointment for your heart. Whether it’s getting outdoors for a walk, going to a fitness class, or hitting the weights at the gym, choose something you enjoy. As children, we didn’t view playing as work, so as adults we should attempt to do the same. By choosing an activity you enjoy, you’ll be more likely to stick to it.

• Surround yourself with positive and like-minded people. I always look at the new year as a fresh start. If any relationships are bogging you down, then perhaps it’s time to re-think them. I know I’ve moved on from these types of situations in my past, and have only ever felt better after doing so. I can truly say I love all my friends, and I always feel uplifted around them. I wish you all the same.

• Shutdown electronic devices. This is something I need to work on myself. Shutting off electronic devices at least a hour before bed allows you to fully relax and prepare for sleep. Whether it’s having a hot bath, doing some reading (using a book) or being with a loved one, try to make this a habit. Our society is far too busy, and at times too connected in my personal opinion. Taking time for oneself after a busy day and keeping electronic devices away from the bedroom will result in better sleeping habits. As a business owner, “unplugging” is something I want to work on this year.

Much love,
Laura Shelly

*Exercise of the month: Take the stairs  – after the holiday feasting, I challenge you all to take the stairs this month. Every little bit of extra activity counts!
*Healthy food of the month:  – beetroot is known to reduce blood pressure, boost energy and fight inflammation. You can add it to salads or drink it as a juice, and you can also eat the greens.

---
Laura Shelly has been a certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor for 3 years, and also specializes in pre- and post-natal fitness. She has her own local business called ‘Laura’s Bombshells’ where she focuses on both in-home and gym training, as well as online training programs. Contact her via ‘Laura Shelly’ on Facebook, on Twitter @LShell86, Instagram @laurashellyfit or by email at ms.laurashelly@gmail.com for help or inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment